Welcome back! Time to finish the fire in the test project and get it into SnwScf and being dangerous!
First, the bad news — I’ve been letting these posts back-up a bit. I have 2 from during the week that need finishing, proofing and posting. Today’s Saturday again, but a really late start due to No. 1 Son getting sick this morning. …well, that and getting lost setting up my new phone!!11!!1! 😉 Upgrade time and I went for the SGS7. I’m justifying it as a good dev/test device for VR until I splurge on a Vive (probably) — finally time to build that Google Cardboard @DevilQube kindly gave me about a year ago that I haven’t been able to use due to my SGS5 having a dead accelerometer after the Lollipop upgrade! (known issue) As always, I’m quite pleased with the deal I managed to find … but it took 45 minutes on the phone with my phone provider to get it. I always look at TCO for phone contracts and this time, it worked out cheaper to go SIM-only (which they discounted) and buy the phone outright. Nicely, they discounted the SGS7Edge to the SGS7 price so all-in-all, it was an excellent deal! Anyway, more on the new phone once Samsung’s Smart Switch‘s “Transfer from Galaxy device” eventually moves past 99% “Searching <old phone name> for content to transfer…” — it’s been stuck there for about 30 minutes! Nope, still not finished — time to cancel. Think I’ll retry without the 64GB SD card in the old phone!
So, since last time, I’ve refactored Fire out from FireSpreader — the latter now isn’t a MonoBehaviour, just a Serializable and a field in Fire — better separation of concerns while maintaining ease of settings (not that I’m using it much since most settings are in the FireManager — still, it’s handy to have during dev). Regardless, both suffered from 2 problems: (1) Instantiate() finding no ‘transform.parent’ in Awake() or OnEnable() and (2) the Collider causing OnTriggerEnter() to fire as soon as spawned — sometimes at the origin (which might be the cause for the odd fire at the origin?). The obvious answer to (1) is doing it later and to (2) is having it initially disabled. Easy. So when to enable them? Either: (1) an explicit call or (2) after an automated delay. Since I want this to potentially work without explicit code (e.g. during dev), (2) is the obvious answer — a 0.1 second disabled period on first spawning won’t adversely affect the experience (and is even slightly more realistic since a recently spawned fire might not catch on nearby things).
Next hitch is that, since the Collider is initially disabled, fires started during the disabled period no longer detect each other so I’m getting lots of overlaps = redundancy (went from 40 fires in my test setup to 100). I’d been thinking to throttle fire spreading more anyway so let’s do that now.
Actually, a better way might be to avoid the problem by doing both (1) and (2) above — code and delayed. The latter only if the prior isn’t done. Done. Works but I’m still getting 63 fire instances. 63 particles systems seems like kind’of a lot.
Spent a chunk of time seeing whether I could get Fluidity to do the fire instead. Obviously it’d likely be a high-end option but wow it looks good!
Sadly it seems too inefficient to use a single simulation for the whole arena and I don’t see an obvious/easy way to tie multiple proximal fires into a single simulation. Perhaps there’s a better way to do it — asked question on the forum. Right back to medium ‘end’ approach 😉
Physics.*Cast* indicates overlaps with ‘distance = 0’ etc!
Ahha, resolved the ‘spawned at the origin’ problem! It was caused by my SphereCastAll() overlapping a Collider at the start of the sweep. The documentation explains that this causes the hitInfo to have distance 0 (which I now check for) along with direction negated and position zeroed! It’s obviously one of those hacks (like most of UNIX source using -1 to indicate failure) where the semantics of a function were re-used for efficiency but, without reading the documentation, it’s not obvious that it’s there!
Switched to Emit() on Particle Playground. I’ve previously done work with emitting straight from Shuriken so I know I can do that if this doesn’t work but PP adds nice noise disturbances to its particles so I’d prefer it. Mostly working.
To improve the efficiency, implemented a ‘timeBetweenEmits’ concept — throttles particles nicely!
Comparing Advanced Normal Mapped Shaders and Particle Shaders, Vol 1. After much demo trying and deliberating, I decided to buy the more ambitious (and expensive) ANMS in the hope that the dev will live up to his forum thread promises. Posted request for his textures though.
Particle Playground integration proving tricky. I keep running into the problem that, after changing a Particle Playground system a bit, it ceases working properly and switches to flickering the particles (they appear and disappear). I’ve see it once with the PP default Torch and now I’m seeing it with the Torch adapted with ANMS. Sure, I’d believe I’d made a mistake but (a) it works fine when not firing from a script and (b) an initial ‘puff’ of particles works in the first-ish frame. This makes me worry it might be something in PP that’s broken.
Running binary2text on both and diff’ing in Vim:
- the sourceTransforms are different.
- Lots of m_RotationOrder stuff.
- UV setup, max particle size and sort mode correctly different.
Added a “FireManager.doSpreading” bool to disable it for a bit. Now I don’t even get the flitterring particles. Hmm… Let’s sleep on it.